Welcome to the North Carolina Respiratory Care Board
Board Office Location and Hours: As noted in 21 NCAC 61 .0102: The administrative offices of the North Carolina Respiratory Care Board (NCRCB) are located at: 125 Edinburgh South Drive, Suite 100, Cary, NC 27511. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except North Carolina state holidays.
Public Notice: At the January 8, 2015 meeting, the NC Respiratory Care Board approved a new policy allowing licensees to print their renewal cards. This change will allow you to print your cards. The IT Department was able to make this happen sooner than anticipated. For this reason, renewal cards will no longer be mailed starting February 2, 2015. After renewing your license, you will be prompted to print your card when renewing. You will also receive an email with a PDF file for records. You can download as a PDF for printing, sending to your manager, and maintaining a file copy for your records. If audited, you must send in your CE verifications. A link will be sent to you after we receive the required documents. Please be aware that your pop-up blocker must be set to allow pop-ups from the NCRCB website. Since everyone does not have an email, please let your co-workers know about the change.
Public Notice: In the 2013 legislative session, the General Assembly enacted Session Law 2013-413. This law established G.S. § 150B-21.3A, “Periodic Review and Expiration of Existing Rules.” This statute requires the Rules Review Commission (“Commission”) to establish a process and schedule for those covered agencies to ensure compliance with the law. This schedule and process requires agencies to review all of their active rules codified in the NC Administrative Code (“the Code”) every 10 years.
21 NCAC 61 - NC Respiratory Care Board (Posted October 25, 2014) rules review began October 31, 2015 after the Board approved the existing rules on October 9, 2014. Comments shall be directed to William Croft, Executive Director, 125 Edinburgh South, Suite 100, Cary, NC 27511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comment period: October 31, 2014 - December 31, 2014. Scheduled month and year for RRC review: June 2015
Notice: Please Keep your email address up to date. The NCRCB will use your email address as the primary source of providing you with information including your license renewal reminder.
Notice: To Individuals with military training in Respiratory Care and their spouses please click here and review the approved requirements per the NC General Statute 93B-15.1
News from the July 9, 2015, Board Meeting
Posted: 7/13/2015 10:58:00 AM
Highlights of the July 9, 2015, Board Meeting
The NC Hospital Association reappointed Kathy Short, RN, RCP for another term ending October 31, 2018. There is one public member seat open that is appointed by the Governor. Larry Simpson, RCP, Dr. Coyle, Dr. Bratzke, and Mr. Joe Hooks terms end Oct 31, 2015. New baord appointees are needed to replace Dr. Coyle and Dr. Bratzke since they will complete their second term on October 31, 2015. Mr. Hooks’ and Mr. Simpson’s reappointments are pending. All are eligible to serve until replaced.
Larry Simpson, RCP was elected to a second term as Board Chair and Dr. Larry Klima, MD was elected as Vice Chair replacing Dr. Coyle, MD. Ms. Short was also reelected for a second term as Treasurer. The Board approved the 2015-16 Budget presented by Ms. Short. She also reviewed the 2014-2015 profit-loss and balance statements. Dr. Croft reported that Continental Message Solution was engaged in a contract after discussion with the Board Chair to offer 24/7 answering service capability starting July 1, 2015. The service allows the Board to extend better service to the public and licensees by providing a live person to receive calls when the office is closed for any reason.
The Board's Investigators completed 15 investigations during the last quarter. Thirteen (13) individuals were scheduled for interviews with the Board's Investigation and Informal Settlement Committee on June 9, 2015. There are currently eight ongoing investigations.
As of June 30, 2015: there have been 8152 Respiratory Care Practitioner Licenses applied for since 2002. Current Totals: 4699 Active and 65 Inactive. There are 71 pending applicants, 2911 expired licenses, 231 Failed to complete, 55 practitioners deceased, 61 withdrawn applications, 11 voluntarily surrendered licenses, 0 Suspended, 32 revoked licenses, and 16 denied applications.
The Education and Adhoc Committees met on June 12, 2015. The Rules Committee met on June 24, 2015. Practice and Ethics Committees did not meet during the last quarter. Based on the Education Committee recommendation, the board approved a new policy for preceptor documentation for RCP’s to receive CE credit. Also, the committee recommended that the “Do it for Drew Foundation” videos be used for continuing and collegiate education purposes. The Board approved the recommendation provided the program attach a Board approved Disclaimer regarding the contents. Based on the Rules Committee recommendation, the Board approved the Exemption Rule in 21 NCAC 61 .0202 for re-adoption following the Ten-Year Rules Review by the NC Rules Review Commission approval.
The Next Board meeting is scheduled for October 8, 2015, at 10:00 AM at the Board Office.
News from the Board Meeting on April 9, 2015
Posted: 4/13/2015 8:34:00 AM
The North Carolina Respiratory Care Board met on April 9, 2015. The following agenda items were approved from committee recommendations or Board member motions:
1) Ms. Robin Ross, MS, RRT, RCP announced that Mr. William Bernard Nobles replaced Ms. Williams as the new public Board member appointed by the Governor. He will serve three years. One public member seat remains open.
2) The board approved an interpretative letter in lieu of a position statement for a request from Myra Stearns, RCP at Carolinas Medical Center-Pineville regarding Respiratory Therapist having access to medication other than Respiratory meds in the Omnicell.
3) The board approved a request from Sean Gibson, EMT-P, and C. at WakeMed Health & Hospitals Mobile Critical Care Services for updating the Air Ambulance Declaratory Ruling. The board approved the changes to the existing ruling to include training within the hospital for initial and annual competency training. The was updated to include the monitoring of Intra-Aortic Balloon Counterpulsation, as well as all of the advanced practice procedures and skills that are identified on the North Carolina Medical Board Approved Skills and Medications for Credentialed EMS Personnel which is currently located at the following URL: http://www.ncems.org/nccepstandards/NCMBApprovedMedSkillsforEMSPersonnel.pdf.
4) The board approved an interpretative letter for Marcus Ferguson, RCP at New Hanover Regional Medical Center regarding Respiratory Therapist having access to medication other than Respiratory meds in automated dispensing devices.
5) The board unanimously carried a motion made by Kathy Short, RN, RCP, RRT to change in the Conscious Sedation Declaratory Ruling to include the: “Any RCP who engages in these activities must have an advanced practice credential, such as being registered by the National Board for Respiratory Care as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT). Should any question arise about the appropriateness of any other advanced practice credential, the Board will provide guidance for individual situations on request, with sufficient advance notice”.
6) The board unanimously carried a motion made by Dr. Klima to send letter to DHSR regarding the Carolina Specialty Hospital expressing the Board’s concerns.
CLICK LOGIN to enter our online services system to complete the following services: Update your address, practice site, phone number and email address, Request (Certification) Verification of your RCP license to another state, Request a Replacement Licensure Card, Request a Name Change and a new License Card. Online services also includes Application for a RCP license and an online Complaint Form.
Notice: RCP's must maintain their NBRC credentials in order to maintain their RCP license.
NOTICE: You may renew online only during the month your license expires. Reminder- 21 NCAC 61 .0501 requires the RCP to notify the Board within 30 days of any change in address and/or change in practice site.